Singapore is an island city with a broad diversity of cultures. The population is approximately 70% chinese, with the remaining 30% a mix of Indians, Malaysians, Indonesians and other ethnic origins. The tourist bureau located is in the raffles complex and your hotel will have plenty of brochures on what to see and do. It is a small island very low crime rate. The transport system is one of the best in the world. The subway, taxis and buses are afordable. Half the fun of Singapore is just exploring. Most singaporans speak fluent English.

Food, from SNG$5 to SNG$50

Singapore is a great place to enjoy a diversity of foods but it can be expensive if you eat in the more established restaurants food along the shopping streets or in hotels. If you really want to experience local Singapore food at it best, try the hawker centers (a place where all the food stalls are set up together) within the neighborhood. The prices here range from SNG$4.00-$7.00


The Singapore Tourist Pass offers unlimited travel for tourists to Singapore on Singapore's public transport system. For $8 a day, tourists can take any number of rides on buses and trains operated by SBS Transit, SMRT Buses and SMRT Trains. Certain buses like Night Rider are not applicable. The Singapore Tourist Pass is available at selected MRT stations.


All taxis are fitted with meters; all are air conditioned; the majority of the taxis are 5-seaters; about 90% of taxis have radiophones; call booking is done via GPS or digital voice dispatch. The fares are very reasonable. Taxis equipped with meters are required by law to use them. The penalty is very high if the driver does not comply, so don't be afraid to complain if the driver does not turn it on.

Recommended Places

Zoo & Night Safari, Jurong Bird Park, Orchid Garden & Botanic Garden, Sentosa, Bugis Village, Esplanade, Merlion Walk, Chinatown, Little India, Clarke Quay & Boat Quay.

Boat and Clark quay

Once the center of commerce during the 19th century, now a mixure of all types of food from seafood, asian, indian and western plus entertainment. A great area to sit at night, resturants and bars line the waterfront. Plenty of choices from local satay to Irish and everything in between. Not the cheapest of places. Expect to spend about SG$45 on a meal and drinks.


Jurong Bird Park, Orchid Garden & Botanic Garden, Zoo & Night Safari and Sentosa


Singapore Art Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum, Chinatown Heritage Centre, Civil Defence Heritage Gallery, Changi Museum, Fort Siloso (Sentosa), Images of Singapore (Sentosa), Reflections at Bukit Chandu, Singapore History Museum, Singapore Philatelic Museum

The Chinatown Heritage Centre, located in China Town, is worth a visit and provides a glimpse history of the area. Exhibits takes you back to the Nanyang days where you could see the life of a coolies, samsui women and rickshaw puller. It pieces together what life was like for the pioneers who braved naturn and circumstance to migrate to Nanyang.

The 3 storey shophouses explores the culture and traditions of these early Chinese settlers.

Opens 9am to 8pm daily (Last admission at 7pm)

Night Life

Night Safari, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, CHIJMES, Chinatown Night Market, Esplanade, Merlion Park


Pulau Ubin, MacRitchie Reservior, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, Fort Canning Park, Kranji Nature Trail

The Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve is set in a 130 hectares of mangrove, mudflats, pond and secondary forest. It is home to unique plants and animals and migratory birds.

Birds are most plentiful between September and March during migratory season of shorebirds or waders.

Worth Visting and Cultural Tips

Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street are neighborhoods of dense cultural immersion. Experience the architecture, religion, temples, foods, customs, languages, restaurants, festivals... worth the visit!

Cutural Tips


Singapore Science Centre, Escape Theme Park, Wild Wild Wet, Snow City, Zoo, Night Safari, Jurong Bird Park, Sentosa, Singapore Discovery Centre


Bugis, Orchard, Suntec, Mustafa, Funan, Toa Payoh, Vivo City

Local Food

Glutton Bay, Food Repulic (Wisma Atria), Marina Loft Food Court

Singapore to Bucket List